Saturday, April 26, 2008

My head hurts

Just a quick note to mention the book I'm currently reading - it's The Defense Of The Faith by Cornelius Van Til. It's a highly recommended book, but isn't an easy read (I've understood about 70 - 80% of it). How do I feel after reading it?...well, the graphic and title says it all.

Having said that, I've realised while reading it that the human mind is a mysterious thing. I've had while reading it something of a eureka moment...you know the thing I mean I'm sure, you read something, and the penny just drops, and you get a new perspective on something that you didn't have before.


For me, while reading this book, the subject matter in which I had this eureka moment was nothing new to me, and it was this: the whole of being and reality is, in its very essence and in truth a Christian theistic system. And every fact that exists, exists as a fact within this Christian theistic reality, and outside of this reality no fact has any meaning at all (deep stuff huh?).


But this isn't new. We knew this already (at least I did), it's exactly what the Bible teaches. But although I knew this, I didn't really know it. It took me the struggle of reading this difficult (for me at least) book, of which I only understood a part, for this truth that I already knew to really imprint itself into my mind and soul in a way that affects the way I think and look at reality every day.


The mind really is a mysterious thing.


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home